Thu, 13 October 2016
In this episode, we join our besties from Fiction Fare to talk about our favorite Fall 2016 Reads and our most anticipated Winter 2016 books. We cover contemporary romance, young adult, fantasy romance, historical romance, new adult, and many more genres.
We apologize again for the feedback and weird noises on this episode. We're working on improving the quality of the audio!
We want to know what made your lists! Be sure to leave us a comment let us know your most anticipated read this Fall! Ask Us a Question or Make Suggestions via our Handy Dandy Suggestion Form and tell us who's got you swooning here.
Thanks for listening, everyone!
Direct download: fall_winter_funcast.mp3
-- posted at: 2:00am CST
Wed, 14 September 2016
- Charlotte Huang starts us off with her elevator pitch for Going Geek, where her idea for the book came from, and what a typical writing day looks like for her.
- Next, we ask about how she develops her writing and characters and how long it took for Going Geek to hit shelves from when she first started drafting.
- Charlotte shares some insight into Declan and Skylar's characters and what it takes to write a swoony boy.
- We talk about some of Charlotte's experiences attending a boarding school and what her favorite scenes in Going Geek were.
- We find out the characters from Charlotte's books that she'd most like to introduce.
- We dish music and Charlotte gives some sage wisdom to her 17-year-old self (and teens everywhere).
- We talk TBR piles, books that need more love, and the swooniest boys of all.
- We play a fun word association game.
- We wrap things up with Charlotte flipping the tables on us and asking us questions. :)
Direct download: SBP_AuthorTalk_Charlotte-Huang.mp3
-- posted at: 3:12pm CST
Tue, 2 August 2016
- We jump right in with Jessica Brody's elevator pitch for A Week of Mondays and how she initially got the original idea for the book.
- We were totally inspired by Jessica's writing strategy. She shares some insight into how she structures her day, the way she develops her work, and gives a little glimpse into how important Evernote is for her.
- She gives us some detail on her brand new book, Save the Cat! Writes a Novel!.
- We talk about Jessica's book development process, how long it takes from first draft to your bookshelves, and how Jessica celebrates her book birthdays.
- Next we shift to swoony boys, specifically Owen. Jessica talks to us about her approach with writing Owen was different from other boys she's written.
- Then we discuss Ellie, a bit about the Unremembered Series, and how Jessica secretly lives out her villainous fantasies.
- Jessica answers our all-important question: will we get more Owen and Ellie?, discusses her ideas for A Month of Tuesdays, and lets us know her favorite scenes from A Week of Mondays.
- Jessica lets us know the characters from her books that she would like to introduce to each other, then she plays a little game of Two Truths and a Lie with us.
- Jessica lets us know how much she Mondays.
- We shift to other people's books, and Jessica tells us what's on her massive TBR, her latest reads, and the book she wants everyone to read. You're welcome.
- We talk about four book boyfriends that Jessica thinks are swoony, then we wrap things up by playing a fun word association game.
Direct download: SBP_AuthorTalk_Jessica-Brody.mp3
-- posted at: 8:22pm CST
Thu, 9 June 2016
- We chat with Katie about Walk the Edge and how she came up with the idea for the Thunder Road Series.
- We talk a little about partying. :)
- Katie lets us know what her not so typical writing day looks like and her writing and publication process. And she gives us a Pushing the Limits spoiler!
- We are completely mesmerized by Katie explaining the inspiration for her swoony boys. For real.
- We talk a little more about Katie's characters, and she gives us some insight into the couple we'll see in the next Thunder Road book.
- Katie talks about some of the most powerful scenes in her books.
- Katie gives us one of the most fun answers ever when she tells us who she'd most like to introduce to her characters.
- Katie has some more fun with us and lets us know three things that might surprise her readers.
- We accuse Katie and Erin of having a conspiracy when Katie reveals her most recent reads and what's on her TBR.
- We fangirl with Katie over one of her favorite authors, Trish Doller!
- Katie reveals her original book boyfriend, and we try to talk her into writing fanfiction.
- We play a fun word association game with Katie before letting her go.
Direct download: sbp_AuthorTalk_Katie-McGarry.mp3
-- posted at: 12:00pm CST
Fri, 3 June 2016
- Just like last year, we remind you about our previous posts about BEA, including our 2013, 2014, and 2015 Podcast Episodes and our Pre-BEA posts filled with fun tips.
- We mention our favorite grabs (and biggest disappointments) from BEA this year, which can be found on our website.
- We talk about bookish schedules and lament on the ineffectiveness of samplers.
- And we get off on a crazy tangent and talk about lines and the seven kinds of hell they cause as well as why the autographing table spaces aren't being utilized in the best way they could be.
- We discuss how some of us were more selective about what we brought home. Go us!
- We mentioned some of the authors we were the most excited to
- We make fun of Erin's #pressback face.
- We talk about how impressed Meg and Kass were that Jaime and Erin didn't consume copious amounts of Starbucks.
- We dish about some of the awesome blogger events and signings we got to attend.
- We talk about the wonderfulness of Anderson's Bookshop.
- We giggle over Will Ritter's Hat.
- We go over some fun aspects of hanging out in Chicago.
- Then we discuss
PierceCon BookCon some more, including the crowds:
- We have lots of thank yous.
- We make our early plan for next year--back in NYC!
- We mention lots of other stuff on our website, so be sure to head over there and check it out!
Direct download: SBP_BEA2016.mp3
-- posted at: 10:30pm CST
Thu, 26 May 2016
- Robin Constantine gives us her elevator pitch for The Season of You & Me and tells us what inspired her to write the story.
- We chat about Jason Street a little bit. And swoon over Tim Riggins for a second.
- li>Robin shares her writing environment and the way she writes.
- We find out the way Robin celebrated when The Season of You & Me hit shelves.
- Robin gives us the 411 on where her characters came from and if this is the last we'll see of Cassidy and Bryan.
- We dish on summer camp a little bit before Robin reveals some of her favorite scenes.
- We play two truths and a lie with Robin. You'll be surprised by her answers!
- We get a little serious and ask Robin what she would include in a letter to her teenage self. Robin tells us what's on her always-growing TBR pile and the books she thinks are the most under-appreciated.
- You know us--we have to talk about the swoon. Robin shares how she writes her swoony boys.
- Finally, we play a little word association game with Robin. It's fun!
Direct download: sbp_AuthorTalk_Robin-Constantine.mp3
-- posted at: 5:30am CST
Wed, 4 May 2016
- Jenna Evans Welch gives us the low down on Love & Gelato, including the setting, the inspiration, and the characters.
- Jenna talks about her writing style and whether or not we'll see more of Lina and Ren.
- We find out Jenna's favorite scenes and some fun things about her.
- Jenna tells us some of her favorite books and what makes her swoon.
- Finally, Jenna plays a little word-association game with us. Some of her answers might surprise you.
Direct download: sbp_AuthorTalk_Jenna-Welch.mp3
-- posted at: 11:02pm CST
Fri, 29 April 2016
We're so excited to bring you another Author Talk Podcast
Episode, this time featuring In Real Life author
Jessica Love. We're super excited that she stopped
by to chat with us, along with our favorite twinnies from Fiction
Fare. We know you’re as excited as we are to hear what Jessica has
to say about all the things, so jump right on in, and don’t forget
to let us know what you think
in the comments.
Please note: the sound quality is not the best in this episode.
We're working on it!
- Author Jessica Love gets us started with her elevator pitch for
In Real Life.
- Jessica tells us about her dreams and where the idea for In
Real Life came from.
- We talk about diversity--in real life and In Real
- Jessica talks a little about her writing process and how much
online friendships mean to us. #twilightforever
- We grill Jessica on her characters and favorite scenes, and
whether or not this is the last we'll see of this group. Hint: She
hopes not!! *jumpyclaps*
- We talk about road trips and Jessica's greatest
- Then we get a little personal with Jessica, including finding
out what's on her TBR pile and her moments of TV fame.
- Of course, we can't let her go without talking about Swoony
Boys, which becomes a tribute to Jason Segal.
- Finally, we play a fun game with Jessica.
Direct download: SBP_AuthorTalk_Jessica-Love.mp3
-- posted at: 12:44am CST
Thu, 14 April 2016
We cannot express all the excitements we feel when introducing
our featured author to you today in our latest Author Talk Podcast
Episode: Jeff Zenter, author of the extraordinary The Serpent King!
*epicflails* We're thrilled that he stopped by to chat with us,
along with our favorite twinnies from Fiction Fare. We know you’re
as excited as we are to hear what Jeff has to say about all the
things, so jump right on in, and don’t forget to let us know what
in the comments.
- Jeff gives us his elevator pitch for The Serpent King.
There's an echoish noise. We're sorry about that, but we promise it
goes away by the time we get to question two!
- Jeff Zentner admits that he was obsessed with teen fashion
- We talk about the characters in The Serpent King and
lots of interesting things about Jeff's writing process and how
much he likes the editing process.
- We discuss growing up in a small town.
- Jeff (sort of) admits that he totally meant to make us cry.
Even though he basically says he didn't.
- Jeff shares his favorite scenes. And he makes a reference to
Friday Night Lights that made us love him even more.
- We get a glimpse of what's on Jeff's current reads list and
massive TBR pile.
- Jeff tells us what he'd include in a letter to his 17-year-old
- Then, Jeff tells us what he considers "the hottest thing ever"
- Finally, we play a fun game with Jeff. Where we kind of scare
him. And it's pretty dang funny.
Join us for #WYAKW on twitter and check out our instagram
Direct download: SBP_AuthorTalk_Jeff-Zenter.mp3
-- posted at: 12:51am CST